The Federal State Unitary Enterprise All-Russia Research Institute of Automatics (Russian acronym - FSUE VNIIA) was founded in 1954 on initiative of academician Yuli B. Khariton, who was the principal investigator of the development of the first nuclear warheads and nuclear weapons in the state.
At present FSUE VNIIA is a big research and production centre. It is the developer of a considerable part of nuclear stockpiles of our country and enters the Nuclear Weapons Complex of the State Atomic Energy Corporation ROSATOM. Basic activities of the Institute include execution of exploration, research and development works, pilot-scale and full-scale manufacture of products for defense and civil spheres. The Fundamental and Applied Research Centre was established within the FSUE VNIIA in 2011 in order to extend theoretical research.
|Nikolai L. Dukhov|
The Institute structure includes well-equipped with modern hardware:
- theoretical, development, design, research and testing units;
- big computation center equipped with supercomputer, and distributed computer networks;
- process-engineering and material science units;
- production shops;
- economical, planning and management services;
- security and support services, other auxiliary units.
Major defense areas include:
the development of
- nuclear weapons for certain categories of strategic and tactical nuclear weapon systems;
the development and production of
- firing and neutron initiation systems for the nuclear weapons;
- non-nuclear components and automatics for the nuclear weapons;
- nuclear explosion monitoring equipment;
- unified test & measurement equipment;
- hardware and methods for measuring nuclear weapon parameters in the course of experimental work.
Major civil areas include the development and serial production of:
- software & hardware for automatic process control systems of heat and nuclear power plants, as well as other complicated facilities;
- pressure transducers and relays for atomic and oil-and-gas enterprises;
- portable neutron generators and generator-driven equipment;
- portable X-ray units;
- radiation monitors;
- equipment for detection of single fast processes;
- arc protection equipment for power generation industry;
- industrial firing devices;
- seismic sensors and earthquake recording systems.
The Centre for Fundamental and Applied Research carries out theoretical research in the following areas:
- high energy density physics;
- fundamental study of materials;
- plasma physics;
- high-energy laser physics;
- nuclear radiation physics;
- mathematical simulation.
The All-Russia Research Institute of Automatics offers:
- cooperation with organizations and institutions in all fields of the Institute activities ensuring mutually beneficial partnership;
- supply of all kinds of products and equipment manufactured by the Institute ensuring best quality and reliability of production and author support for it during the whole life cycle;
- workplaces for professionals of various specialties ensuring its staff fair level and stable growth of salary, free advanced training, postgraduate study, defense of candidate and doctoral thesis at the Institute thesis councils.